Saturday, August 21, 2010

First 20 mile run

Yesterday I did it, the dreaded 20. I've been building to get there. 17, 18, and now 20 miles and it hurt. I decided to drive to flatness so that my 20 miles could be hill free, and I wore my new super cute running skirt that I LOVE...so worth the $50. :) My mom was nice enough to ride a bike next to me for those 3 long hours of nonstop running. It was so nice of her to be there for company and also for protection from the random scary men that walk the Parkway. Not that my mom is much for protection, I mean we're both about 5'1, and so not scary, but at least I feel better on secluded river parkways, to have someone with me. To my surprise those 20 miles actually flew by and I felt really strong and really good. My end time was 3:06 which was not what I wanted, especially because there really were no hills to tire me out. To make my 3:40 marathon goal I am going to have to do it MUCH FASTER. :(
I hate the discouragement of not doing what I want to do. But I keep telling myself it was just a training run. Then I give myself all my justifications as to why my time isn't where I want it to be. 1. It was just a training run. 2. There was no competitiveness, no one to beat. 3. I was talking a ton with my mom which makes me slower. 4.My knee was hurting.
My knee...that's a whole different story that I'm hoping magically goes away on it's own. Otherwise I am going to have to take another trip to Costco and buy the Bulk bottle of Ibuprofen again. Blah. But anyways at least I'm doing it. Only 6 more weeks till it's here.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job today! Yay for moms and yay for 20 miles that didn't seem so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not know you were a runner?? I just did Hobble Creek today. Fill me in on your future races!
    Tonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just couldn't believe how you just keep runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning, (there is a "N" for every mile )I just cant do it without the walk breaks! You are totally amazing!!!!! I love you and was happy to be a part of your training today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring. You rock!!!

    Jen
    http://jenslosinit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete